Sunday, June 13, 2010

GLSEN: Hyperlinks

GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network) is an organization that was created 20 years ago to help create school climates where difference is valued. Many of the suggestions on the website fit more into what can be done in middle and high schools but the BookLink made me think of how I could connect this subject to my teaching in an elementary school. I have found one of the best ways of teaching tolerance and difference is through children’s literature which when used as a read-aloud can springboard natural discussion about difficult subjects such as racism and bullying. When I followed the BookLink on this designated gay & lesbian educational website, I was struck by the shortage of literature that included gay/lesbian characters and/or that covered the challenges of being so called ‘different’. The book list seemed to have many titles that highlighted bullying and racial diversity, only a few that focused on same sex families and next to none that highlighted child characters that are gay or lesbian. When I searched other websites, the predominant themes were same sex parents, adoption, or teen characters.

I teach at a school that promotes diversity and tolerance. Although I have taught students who have same sex parents and we have had class discussions about how families are different, it never occurred to me until now that I should be seeking out literature that shows families that have same sex parents. What also occurred to me is that I have taught 3rd grade students who even at that age demonstrate behaviors that indicate their sexual orientation as being different from the so called norm and I have not addressed this element of diversity through children’s literature. So, I am now on a mission to find a few books that cover this theme to enable me to facilitate classrooms.

Please see the following book links below which I think would benefit discussions with young and elementary age children about same sex families and children who feel different. Many of the titles seem more appropriate to share within a family setting, but a few could be used in classrooms. There seems a huge gap in the market for books about gay/lesbian relationships and characters that can be shared in a classroom setting. Any budding authors out there???

When Grow-Ups Fall in Love and Mama Eat Ant, Yuck! By Barbara Lynn Edmonds

And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson & Peter Parnell

Wings by Christopher Myers

http://www.armory.com/~web/gaybooks.html

I particularly liked The White Swan Express by Jean Davies Okimoto and Elaine M. Aoki because it highlights adoption and same sex parents. This type of family is definitely one that is growing in our country.

I am left thinking about the following: Many school systems restrict educators on what they can teach and what materials they can use. I saw that one of the books I selected, And Tango Makes Three was banned from many library bookshelves. I wonder how we can create environments where difference is valued if we can't even talk about some of our differences.

4 comments:

  1. I love that photograph of Bermuda! Have you stayed there before? Absolutely gorgeous!

    Okay, back to business. I think children's literature can be a great way to integrate issues of diversity into the classroom. I do think administrators need to consider incorporating this into the curriculum. Since books must usually be approved prior to their use in the classroom, it would be much easier if we were on the same page with our administrators. I would love to see a focus on diversity integrated into the curriculum. At the school I used to teach at, we actually had a curriculum for "safe environment." However, this included first aid safety, fire safety, etc. It did not address acceptance, bullying, and tolerance. Aren't those part of a safe environment as well? They definitely should be because a student's overall well being can be defined by how accepted they feel by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic of Bermuda, have you been? I was there a few years ago and what a beautiful, colorful place it is! Thank goodness for Bermuda shorts! LOL. Anyway, I agree that children's lit. is a great tool for introducing tough subjects. Thank you for reminding me of that, I feel like so much of my day consists of just teaching reading, writing, math and science that I don't usually use my read-alouds for anything more than a read-aloud.
    ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the great websites those books are wonderful, especially "When grown-ups fall in love."-I could read that one to my pre-k students! I am lucky that I work in a district that has such a diverse community. I feel I have a good working realtionship with the principal and if I had a student that came with an "extended family" that would be something I could implement. Thanks again, great links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using books to prompt discussions. Not just in the classroom but in the administrative arena as well. I wonder if along with a request to use a book like the "White Swan Express" you could include the article from Pediatrics (out in July) about the 20 year study showing children with lesbian parents faring just fine(actually better). You mention that your school promotes diversity and tolerance, you may not need to promote the same level of awareness as jmarshall925 may wish to.

    20-year study: Lesbians' kids better in social, academic competence
    Results of Gartrell's study are online and will be published in the July issue of Pediatrics.

    ReplyDelete