Sunday, June 20, 2010

August: Making Room for One Another - Argument

What struck me as I was reading August’s Making Room for One Another was that it amalgamated the learning from all the articles we have read during this course. (Johnson and Kozol’s work were directly mentioned together with phrases and arguments from other authors’ work we have read).

August conducted a qualitative research study which focused on a teacher’s response to sociocultural differences that came out of classroom discussions, and how a kindergartener with lesbian moms responded to the teacher’s interventions. The teaching and learning described by August is based on Vygotsky’s social constructivist theory. The author was also influenced by Bakhtin’s ideas about monologicality and dialogicality. Chapter 5 focuses on ‘dynamic dialogicality’ which August describes as “in the moment”; teachable moments that come out of class discussions. Morning Meeting activities, a key element of Responsive Classroom was an important vehicle for these teachable moments where Zeke, the kindergarten teacher was able to seize upon student comments about difference to address FTA’s (face threatening acts) among his students. Zeke facilitated conversations in which all his students’ voices were heard and they felt empowered, unlike the subjects in Delpit’s article. He created a safe learning environment where Cody, a kindergarten student adopted from Cambodian who has two moms, felt safe expressing his frustrations around the Question of the Day: “Are you excited about the exhibition today?” Chapter 6 focuses on ‘designed dialogicality’ which August describes as “before the moment’; meaning planned curriculum that teaches about specific topics, in this case families and heroes. The author concludes that the teacher provided Cody with many opportunities to share about his family dynamics; however Cody was unable to fully share his private life. He was struggling with more than one difference; having two moms, being adopted so he was also harboring feelings of abandonment, and being born in Cambodia.

Zeke is clearly an experienced teacher who is able to create many teachable moments around classroom discussions and activities. I don’t think this is necessarily reflective of all teachers as everyone has difference levels of experience and comfort. That being said, I think it’s important for us as teachers to strive to take advantage of these teachable moments wherever possible. I felt a real connection with the material presented in this article as I had just researched and blogged about the book Tango Makes Three and experienced many of the Morning Meeting activities when I taught 3rd grade. Chapter six touched upon two topics we have talked about during class discussions: the basic need of safety according to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and groups that are in the minority being put in the spotlight as Cody was(Chp. 6: p.183-4). I am also left thinking about Kozol and Finn’s arguments that education is still separate in America. August describes Cody’s parents choosing “a Montessori preschool with other internationally adopted children, several of whom also had lesbian moms” (181) and then he attended a school where difference was valued and teachers were allowed to explore controversial subjects. It appears to me that Cody’s parents are choosing a safe schooling environment for their son. It also makes me reflect upon the population at the charter school I teach at and realize that it is a safe haven for children whose families are different from the dominant society.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Nikki, your writing never ceases to impress me each time I read. Every blog becomes more and more intense; you are an amazing writer. Even though I read the August article, your insight opened my eyes and really had me thinking more critically and deeper about the many messages he was implying. I completely agree about hte importance of taking advantage of any "teachable moment." However, don't you agree that Zeke's forcefulness may have brought about a certain level of uncomfortability for his students (in particular, Cody??)

    P.S. "amalgamated" -- what an awesome choice of words!! I have added a new word to my vocabulary that I never heard before. I was able to use the context clues to find the meaning of the unknown/new word (just as I had always reminded my students)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to comment on the comment!
    I too couldn't help but feel that Cody was manipulated to the edge of discomfort. I think if you feel resistance, you should exercise patience. We aren't trained psychologists/psychiatrists. The child was sensitive and dealing with more than the non traditional family structure he was part of. Children will talk when they are ready!

    ReplyDelete