Friday, May 28, 2010

Hi, and welcome to my blog!

As my accent reveals, I grew up in England and lived there until I was 25 years old. I left my career as a
fashion buyer and traveled the world for over 2 years before meeting a wonderful American who has since become my husband. He persuaded me to move to Rhode Island where I retrained as an elementary teacher and embarked upon a less cut-throat and more rewarding career.

I graduated from Salve Regina University in 2003, and since then have been working at a charter school in Providence. My first six years were spent as a 3rd grade teacher. This school year an opportunity arose for me to move into a Title 1 literacy position where I could further my knowledge and experience in my field of interest. I now teach 1st through 4th grade students. The majority of the students I work with need extra support with their literacy skills. I also run two 4th grade book clubs which provide enrichment for highly proficient readers.

In my spare time (which is non-existent right now as I am taking another class and teaching full-time), I like many sports including sailing, skiing, and practicing yoga. I also like gardening and taking walks on the beach with my dog. After summer session 1, I plan to visit my family and friends in England and I can't wait!

I look forward to getting to know you all better through class discussions and blogging.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki,

    We do have a lot in common, I can't believe how much actually. Italy is a beautiful country and I can't wait to go back either. We visited Sorrento, Rome, Tuscany and Venice and we've decided that upon our return we will stay in Sorrento for it's natural beauty and Tuscany for it's old world,like home,feel. We saw many weddings there and by the way, thank you for congratulating me. Did you get married on a weekday? Where in Italy did you get married?
    As for Australia, I student taught there and then stayed a little longer to travel, although I did travel often on weekends. One of my weekend getaways did lead me to the Whitsunday Islands and talk about gorgeous and breath taking! I still remember how the sand beneath my feet seemed to pop because of it's compactness. Suddenly, my Australian story doesn't seem to compare to yours,lol, I can't imagine working on a boat there. It must have been a great experience for you, as mine was for me. Australia is a great country too. I loved peoples' laid back attitudes. The days seemed a lot longer too. I lived in Townsville which is south of Cairns, it's right by the great barrier reef. It was great and I keep telling my husband that we have to go there too.
    Ahh.... but there are so many places I still want to see.
    This summer I will be traveling to my parents homeland, the Azores, for two weeks. I haved been going there since I was an infant. People from there joke with me and say that I am from there even though they know I am U.S. born. Funny how our lives seem to mirror eachother a bit.
    Third grade is a great year to teach, and I have such a great class this year. It is my first year teaching 3rd graders and unfortunately I'm not sure what grade I will be teaching next year. I hope to stay where I am.
    Well I'm all over the place and sorry this message is so long but I hope to share more of my experiences with you. Maybe we can exchange stories some time. Take care.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete